Every year during Diwali we burst firecrackers and this increases air pollution, which brings up the difficulty in breathing for the entire week. With heavy smoke due to the burning of explosives and papers, we add up explosions to the boiling pot of pollution that would kill the entire living being and make them the prey of air-borne diseases. Though Diwali is the festival of light, it is due to the bursting crackers, we deteriorate the quality of air and as a result, we add up the pollution levels in the entire city.
During this festival, the levels of some pollutants like sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) rises high. In addition to these, the level of particulate matter (PM) 2.5 and even smaller than 2.5 micrometers also gets active during this festival, which can cause serious health implications. Those people who get exposed to air pollution can face different health impacts like asthma, bronchitis, chronic respiratory symptoms. Some can also face the problems like shortness of breath and painful breathing, inflammation of airways and even severe breathing difficulty.
Control Measures of Air Pollution
- The best thing you can do is to light the House with bulb. Diwali is the festival of light, so what you can do is to light your entire house using a light bulb and stop bursting crackers.
- Don’t walk or play outdoors when you find the air pollution levels are high and this you would find usually in the morning.
- Make sure that you restrict your child spends playing outdoors when you find the air quality is poor.
- Make sure to cover your mouth and nostrils with a facemask (N95 respirators when you go outside.
- You should clean up the mess so that you can keep the environment hygienic.
Though you cannot stop breathing bad air during those days, you can breathe pure and filtered air indoor and that is possible by using an air purifier. There are different air purifiers that you can install in our house starting from Kent HEPA air purifier, Mi, Panasonic, Philips and etc. Check the price and the technical specifications of the air purifier before purchasing it. Also, check the CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of the air purifier. The more the CADR the better would be the purification process.
So, follow the above-mentioned points to survive from the risk of air pollution this Diwali and stay safe from it.